Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Mini project: Making both Clannad DVD sets multi spindle

I recently ordered both sets of the Clannad anime. They're both four discs long and come in a pretty wide case. I was disappointed to see that all four discs were on one spindle stacked on top of another. It's a hassle to take out and I'm worried there may be damage to the discs later on so I came up with this mini project!
Here's what the case looked like before

And here it is after. Not exactly pretty but it more than gets the job done. I'm more about the integrity of the discs than how nice it looks inside the case.

What I used:
An old xbox 360 case that could hold three discs
A good utility knife (still using my awesome Kobalt knife)
Hot glue + hot glue gun
Scissors

So first I had to cut out the disc pieces from the 360 case. The middle spindle was easy to remove and I just cut the ends a little so they would absolutely fit in the case.

The other disc piece took more effort. I could cut through the thin pieces of plastic but the edge was thicker and harder to cut through. I had to trace over where I needed it cut and run over that several times with my knife before it made it through.

Here's the pieces cut out. The single disc piece was cut out like that to make sure it would fit well. The sides were important in this case. In this picture there's no excess plastic on.the top and bottom of the piece and that helped with making sure the case would close properly as it wouldn't bump into the ridge along the middle of the case.


Next, I had to cut two more plastic pieces. These were the two ridges nearest to the middle of the case. Since I only need one disc on that spindle I don't need the plastic to be high enough to support four discs. Had I left them there they would crush into the disc holder in the middle and damage the disc. I used a combination of scissors and the knife cutting these out since the knife wouldn't go smoothly through the thicker pieces.

After they were cut out I took all the discs out and hot glued the middle piece in first, followed by the one-disc piece.  Mind you, hot glue isn't permanent on this. It'll stay, but if you try to pull it off it comes out rather cleanly. Not sure if my hot glue just sucks or if it's just the type of plastic. In any case it holds as long as it's not pulled off.

In this picture the left side of the disc holder was still there so it had a lot of trouble closing. I took it off and cut it down and it closes perfectly now!
And a shot of the trimmed edge.

ALL DONE!

Now to clean off my desk so I can get back to working on pony mods and other projects I started up!

Hope this made sense! If not or you've got a question leave me a comment! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment