Sunday, November 10, 2013

It's been a while!

Sorry for the lack of updates!  I've been working on a painting commission for a friend of mine and wanted to keep the progress secret since he can check the blog.

Get ready for a LONNGGGG post!   Here's all the progress pictures from that painting!




I drew each character individually on regular printer paper.  Here's Medusa, Palutena, Pit and Viridi.

Here's the comparision for the two versions of Pandora I did.  The one on the left was the first drawing I did of her and looking at it the composition was very off.  For one, she was looking at the viewer instead of the others and that was more breaking 4th wall than I wanted.  I redrew her and I like it much better, her proportions are better and just all around better.

To put them on canvas I traced over the image on the back using a standard pencil.  I did this with the help of a light box and then just traced over the lines regularly.  Originally I planned to have Hades in the right corner, but decided he should be near Medusa instead of Pandora.

Here they are transferred.


Here's everyone.  There's 11 characters in total in this picture and 3 of them were utter hell to paint.  I'm looking at you, Hades!

For fun, here's how I decided who to draw for the picture.  Sadly I didn't put Gaol in simply because they've only shown up once.  And there was no way in hell I was drawing Thanatos. He'll ruin my beautiful work!

Kitty kept me company while I was working on this. Made herself comfortable on some fleece I had.

I started with everyone that had black and white and then went with the gold.  After this everyone got individual treatment.

Here's 6 of the 11 characters complete.  Close-ups will be at the bottom.
Everyone colored in and background started

background colored in along with most of the things on the table.  Pandora and Medusa's chairs were fixed to make more sense with the perspective, which I suck at. Don't lie to me, I know I suck at it.
All details are complete and the painting is done.  Close-ups now!

Pandora
Pit
Dark Pit ( I had the most trouble with his positioning.  I went through 5 different poses before deciding this is the one I'd do)
Arlon (despite his strange shape he was easy to draw)
Palutena (originally I forgot about her gauntlets)
Phosphora (I love the gradient effect on the scarf, especially since it didn't take long to do)
Magnus  (fun fact, he's the only human at the table)
Viridi (I was very tempted to give her gold accents before looking at her picture again)
Medusa (I had to paint the purple three times over because it wasn't dark enough.  Her skintone was a bit hard to get and almost looks white compared to the background.  It's a very pale purple.  I most enjoyed the snakes)

Pyrrhon  (I really hated drawing him.  His flame hair and flame aura were a pain to draw.  Luckily they look awesome with the gradient so that worked out nicely.  I'm most proud of him and his color scheme.  Btw, this is the first time I've drawn muscular men before >.>)
And lastly, Hades.( I hated the colors for Hades. They were all dark or ridiculously bright.  I hate how the cape looks.  Luckily his hair didn't come out nearly as bad as I thought it was.)







No comments:

Post a Comment