Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Something for the Skylanders

So, after buying into the Skylanders franchise I had tons of figures just crowding up our entertainment center.  It was a mess, I hated it.  So, I decided to make a shelf for them. It started with a large cardboard box I got from work along with a bunch of old posters they had as well.

 I started off by putting them all in the box to see if they would all be able to fit and they did (minus maybe the extra level pieces) so with that I got to work on it.




I made about 18 shelf pieces when I really needed only 16 (plus the large middle piece).  Originally I designed them too wide and with tab that I wanted to put through to the other side through slits.  I did this for the middle but it was a lot of hassle and didn't really prove to add any more resilience.  I had to spend an hour cutting the shelf pieces to fit properly.

I painted all of the shelf pieces ahead of time and started to mark down where I had to put them.  I used hot glue on every edge and it was very sturdy.  I started painting it but then decided to glue all the remaining shelf pieces first.

Progress shot : D

All done!  I sprayed it with clear sealer that had gloss after that. I haven't taken a picture of that, but it's pretty much done.  I do intend to glue something to the back so it can be held up by nails on the wall but for now it's good.


Also, for my gameboy advance games I printed out some fanmade covers from the great people over at thecoverproject.net.  I put them in DS cases and they look wonderful!  I'm looking to do this with more of my games that I don't have any cases for (n64, gameboy, gba, etc)






Annnddd last one for today, an update to the Zero pixel art.  I glued the frame down and need to paint it now.  Unfortunately I messed up a bit with the glue ( i used hot glue on both the plastic frame and the vinyl and it unstuck from the cardboard frame)  so I need to fix that before painting it.

Not bad though, eh?

Comments are welcomed!





No comments:

Post a Comment